Supporting education in the community
A little PET & School History
The Priors School was originally a Church of England school, opened in 1847. The villagers of Priors Marston built the first school themselves on land donated by Earl Spencer. In August 1996, the school, which had become a state school, was closed by the local authority. Preceded by three years of intensive campaigning, fundraising and planning the school re-opened independently as a charity the following September - still offering free education to village residents and accepting a few fee-paying pupils from further afield.
The fundraising and campaigning continued, with the charity raising nearly £2 million during the 15 years of self-regulation until September 2011, when it became the first of 22 new free schools to open in the UK.
As a Free School, it is funded by the Department for Education and is independently managed by its Governors. Free Schools were not allowed to run nurseries and charity shops, so a new Charity had to be established. This is how PET was born.
PET rents the Nursery premises from The Priors School and is responsible for the overall operation of The Priors Nursery facilities and the Nursery Staff and administers the parental agreements and charges for children to attend additional sessions over and above the County free entitlement hours.
PET also manages a charity fundraising shop in Daventry and works closely with The Priors School Parents' Association to organise fundraising events locally to further its charitable educational objectives.
Registered Charity No: 1145955 | Registered Company No: 07747639
Registered address: Church Corner, Church End, Priors Hardwick, Southam, Warks, CV47 7SN
Charity Secretary: Caroline Wilson
Trustees: Jane Richards (Chairman), David Adams, Peter Brown, Micky Broadhurst, Rebecca Phipps, Caroline Wilson.
Contact: Jane Richards - Tel: 01327 262788
Charity Treasurer - Dot Brown